Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
For the purposes of this assignment, primary texts are works written by adherents for adherents, regardless of format.
- the historical scriptures of world religions in English translation (example: Qur'an)
- periodical literature in which the journal or magazine is published by a religious organization (example: Hinduism Today)
- substantive websites supported by formal religious organizations (example: Dalai Lama of Tibet)
For assignment purposes, primary texts do not include:
- books published by University presses or Christian publishers (except for translations of historical Scriptures)
- articles in formal academic journals
- non-substantive websites or websites where there is no verifiable sponsoring organization
Assignment requirements: minimum of three
Note: full points given for currency and audience, regardless of year or original publisher.